“A sound mind in a sound body.”
In the mid-19th century, Indianapolis saw a tremendous influx of German immigrants to the city. By the 1890s, many German immigrants and their descendants were becoming civic and business leaders in the community. There was a movement to unite several of the German heritage clubs in one location, which spurred the design and construction of “Das Deutsche Haus.” The project was spearheaded by the Indianapolis Turnverein, a group of gymnastics enthusiasts with a desire to promote physical and mental wellness in the community. The building was originally created to advance the Turnverein’s principles of “a sound mind in a sound body” by providing space for athletic and mental endeavors. Since opening to the public in 1898, Das Deutsche Haus has seen many changes, but the commitment to nurturing a sound mind in sound body has endured.