Welcome to Das Deutsche Haus.
In the mid-19th century, Indianapolis saw a tremendous influx of German immigrants to the city. By the 1890s, many German immigrants and their descendants were becoming civic and business leaders in the Indianapolis community. There was a movement to unite several of the German heritage clubs in one location, which spurred the design and construction of “Das Deutsche Haus.”
The project was spearheaded by the Indianapolis Turnverein, a group of gymnastics enthusiasts with a desire to promote physical and mental wellness in the community. The building was originally created to advance the Turnverein’s principles of “a sound mind in a sound body” by providing space for athletic and mental endeavors. Since opening to the public in 1898, Das Deutsche Haus has seen many changes, but the commitment to nurturing sound minds in sound bodies has endured.